Thursday 20 September 2012

Recipe: Whole wheat Kurma

My Tasty Whole Wheat Kurma

I was bored one day and was looking up recipes for Kurma. Well, the idea popped into my head after my oh so lovely mom "suggested" I make a batch, and well, I had to since I ate her batch unbeknownst to her :p

I took the recipe based on what I found at http://www.simplytrinicooking.com/2008/09/kurma.html#axzz272FSHMjb but incorporated whole wheat flour due to shortage of ingredients.
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup shortening/ lard
1/3 cup butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. ginger powder
1/4 cup water to knead flour
1/2 cup sugar ( I mixed half white and half brown sugar)

Method
Combine flour in a large bowl. Add cinnamon powder, half tsp of garlic powder and cut in butter (aka rub the dry ingredients with your fingers thoroughly mixing in the butter and lard). Add water gradually and form a big ball. The ball should be stiff and firm but not like a rock. Divide this ball into two balls to make things more manageable. Roll out each ball one at a time, like a flat pancake, about 1/4 inch thick and cut rectangular strips to your desired size. Fry the strips in oil (olive oil is healthier) until brown, flip over to ensure they are properly cooked. Note, try tapping them with a spoon, if it sounds hollow-ish, things are in order :P Drain the batch in paper towel to soak up excess oil. Next the best part, syrup time! Add ginger powder and sugar to about 2/3 cups of water (don't worry if you add too much water, either add more sugar or wait a little longer). Some people use grated ginger here instead but I'm not a big ginger fan so the powder works well. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir ofter until a syrup like mixture forms aka the mixture drips slowly from a spoon. Pour the syrup quickly over the drained kurma into a new bowl and mix up to create a glaze over the kurma and let cool.

Voila!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment